Oftentimes, getting a pet budgie means you have to convince your parents to let you get one. While there is no guaranteed way to convince your parents or guardians to let you get a pet budgie, there are definitely a few things you can do to help your chances! Here are the things you should do:
- Show your parents that you are responsible.
This isn’t about showing your parents that you can be responsible. Anyone can be responsible at times, and sometimes parents think that kids loose interest in new pets quickly and stop taking care of them. You have to show your parents that you are responsible. This means always doing your chores in a timely manner, picking up after yourself, obeying your parents, doing your homework, and anything else that shows how responsible you are. You must do these things consistently.
- Show your parents that you are knowledgeable.
Show your parents how serious you are about getting a pet budgie. Do your research! You can get tons of info from this website. If you haven’t already, start at the main page and read all the main articles: http://www.budgieplace.com/. You can also search online for more budgie websites and read books about budgies from your local library or bookstore. By learning all about budgies and how to care for them, you are showing your parents that you are not only responsible and serious about getting a budgie, but that you will be capable of caring for a budgie when you do get one.
- Be prepared to make your case.
Your parents will be most likely to listen to you if you go to them prepared to make your case as to why you they should let you get a budgie. Once you feel you have shown how responsible you are and once you feel you have become knowledgeable enough about budgies, it is time to talk to your parents seriously about getting one. Tell your parent(s) that you need to talk to them. When they are ready to listen, tell them the following:
- Tell them that you are talking to them because you want to get a pet budgie and why you think a budgie would be a great pet.
- Tell them that you feel you are responsible enough to get a pet budgie, and give your parents examples of things you’ve done that prove how responsible you are.
- Tell them how much you’ve learned about budgies on your own. Give them examples of the things you know about budgie cages, feeding budgies, cleaning up after budgies, and a few other things that you have learned.
- Tell your parents exactly how you intend to take care of your budgie on your own. Make a list, schedule, or calendar of the care and cleaning you intend to follow and show this to your parents.
- If you plan on buying the budgie or supplies with your own money, show your parents either that you are saving up the money or your plan for saving up the money. If possible, show them a written budget or plan for your savings.
- Lastly, summarize the reasons for your parents to allow you to get a pet budgie: you are responsible, you are knowledgeable, you intend to take care of the budgie completely and on your own.
- Be prepared to answer any questions your parents might have for you, such as why you want a pet budgie, where you plan on keeping your pet budgie, what websites or books you’ve read about budgies, and anything you may have learned about budgies so far.
While there is no guaranteed way to convince your parents to let you get a pet budgie, showing them that you are responsible, knowledgeable, and making a good case to your parents is your best shot. If your parents say “no” or “maybe” or “we’ll see” at first, don’t be discouraged or give up. Don’t nag or beg, just continue showing them how responsible you are and talk to them about it again at a later time. They may eventually change their mind, especially if you keep showing them that you are responsible, knowledgeable, and that you are really serious about getting a pet budgie.