- First, wash everything (cage, nest box, perches, toys, cups, etc.) with soap (regular unscented dish soap works well) and water, making sure to remove all soiling. Rinse well.
- Next, treat with a bleach solution (1 part bleach, 4 parts water). Wipe solution on and leave on for 10 minutes. Then rinse very well with clear water.
- Let everything dry in the sun or wipe completely dry. For wood perches and equipment, either let dry in sun or place in warm oven to dry completely.
- Throw out non washables like cuttlebones and mineral blocks and replace with new ones.
- Wash all cloths and covers used with your birds.
You should completely clean and disinfect your budgie’s stuff about once a year. If your budgie(s) were treated for an illness, you should completely clean and disinfect everything they came in contact with as soon as the treatment is finished. If your budgie(s) were treated for a parasite, you should completely clean and disinfect everything they came in contact with once at the beginning and once at the end of the treatment.