Submitted by: Cindy Stanford
Author’s Note: A way to prepare healthy treats for your budgies that can be frozen and thawed individually. Just do the prep on the weekend and you are good for a month or so.
What You’ll Need:
- Ice cube tray
- Zip lock type baggies
- Plastic wrap
- Mini muffin tin
- Hard boiled eggs – usually 6-10
- Par boiled carrots
- Any other healthy ingredients (see bottom for ideas)
- Box of corn bread muffin mix
- Apple sauce or squash baby food
- Step 1: Once cooled & peeled mince the eggs so that they are very fine
- Step 2: Place the mixture into the ice cube tray, gently pressing to compact it.
- Step 3: Place in freezer with plastic wrap covering for about 2 hours.
- Step 4: Then pop out of the tray and double bag in zip lock type bags and return to freezer.
- Step 5: Mix corn bread muffin box mix with a couple of tbs apple sauce or squash baby food and 2 eggs and bake in greased mini muffin tins. Baking time will be less than package directions, but bake a little on the dry side.
- Step 6: Pop muffins out of tins to cool and leave to dry out on the counter for 3-4 hours.
- Step 7: Place muffins in zip lock type bag and freeze.
- Step 8: When time to feed just pull out a couple blocks of eggs, carrots, corn bread, in whatever combination your birds like best. Microwave on defrost for 1-2 min until defrosted, just don’t get too hot.
You can add all kinds of diced fresh fruit, lettuce, sprouts, spinach or whatever to this mixture. Sometimes I sprinkle vitamins into the mixture. Sometimes I soak some pellets until soft and add them too. Remove any uneaten portions after a couple of hours.