Submitted by: Jack Kleinert
This is a particularly easy way to make perches for your budgies. In most pet stores they sell stick perches that are made out of wood, and these can be very expensive. Below are the instructions for making these perches.
What You’ll Need:
- Drill with drill bits
- 1 Screw and 2 washers
- Screw driver
- Step 1: Get a stick from outside. Pick any shape that you want. Freshly cut sticks work best. Be sure the stick you pick is from a plant that is safe for birds and has not had any pesticides used on it. See Toxic/NonToxic Plants.
- Step 2: Once you have your stick, sand off all the bark (optional) until you have it the way that you like.
- Step 3: Screw a hole in the end in an appropriate size for the end of the stick.
- Step 4: Place your stick inside the cage.
- Step 5: Place the screw through one washer, then through the cage from the outside. Then put the other washer on the screw from the inside of the cage. Now screw into the hole in the stick that is inside the cage.
Watch your budgies play on their new perch!